Credit: BLAST Premier
2023 will be an important year for Team Vitality. It is the second year of playing with an international roster, and it is also the year that France will host its very first CS:GO Major. Something that gives extra motivation for Mathieu "ZywOo" Herbaut.
- We are really focused on the Major in Paris. For apEX and me it will perhaps be the first and only Major in France and Paris. For us it’s really something special and everyone is really focused on that. We have had good talks, and we are going to work hard and try hard for this Major. And I think we will show a good face of Vitality.
In order for that to happen, the French/Danish/Israelian roster will need to find more consistency in their performances. The ESL Pro League win in October 2022 gave a glimpse of what the team can deliver on the server, but early exits at IEM Rio and BLAST World Finals also revealed cracks in the foundation of the team. So, what can we expect from Vitality in 2023?
- I don’t know what we can expect. But we are going to try hard, work hard, and do everything we can for any tournament. The year before was not bad I would say, but I think we expect more. We want to do more now.
“Communication is key”
While ZywOo played a fantastic last six months of 2022, the start of the year was filled with difficulties mainly connected with the fact, that the team had to get used to speaking English after the addition of the two Astralis players Emil "Magisk" Reif and Peter "dupreeh" Rasmussen.
- It did affect me a bit. I am not someone who communicates a lot in the game, but in French, it is going to be instantly, but in English, it is going to take me a second or one second and a half (to communicate), but then I lose my timing. So sometimes it was really hard to do my thing and do a good job overall.
Vitality ended up buying Lotan "Spinx" Giladi from ENCE in the summer break and switched out Kévin "misutaaa" Rabier. A change that instantly improved the communication on the team.
- After Spinx joined we changed a lot of positions for everyone. Now everybody is really happy with what is going on in the map. He also brings communication. He used to speak English on ENCE, so we wasn’t surprised that he was better than us when he came. Spinx brings a lot for us and will help us to do better in the next six months.
The question remains if the Team Vitality roster can elevate their game in 2023. Here ZywOo again points at communication as a vital thing for the roster.
- Communication is key in an international team. And great communication is going to be really hard. I think communication is going to be key for us to be a really good team in the future.
Team Vitality faces Astralis in the opening round of BLAST Spring Groups tomorrow in Copenhagen.